Thursday, October 10, 2013

The primrose path to the valley of death (Wineglass Marathon race report)

This past Sunday morning, I was waiting for the start of the Wineglass Marathon, along with almost 2,000 fellow runners, couple miles outside of the town of Bath, in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. We were all standing there in single shirts, the temperature an unseasonably balmy 65, with humidity in the high 90%. My plan, at the end of a 16-week RYBQ training program, was to run the first part of the race (~18-20 miles) at about 10-15 seconds slower than my BQ pace (8:58 mile for a 3:55 finish time), and, then, depending on how I was feeling, to stay at that pace or try to speed up a bit and go for a sub-4:00 or at least a PR (< 4:14). This was my sixth marathon, so I was well aware of the classic mistake of starting out too fast and then hitting the wall anywhere from the half way point to Mile 20 or so. I was going to be disciplined in executing my plan and make sure I first get my PR (by shaving eight minutes off of my Rock 'n' Roll USA marathon time of 4:22). Standing there, waiting for the start, I reminded myself to follow the plan and trust the training.

But, then, I saw the 3:55 pace sign.

In hindsight, of course, I shouldn't have done what I then did, which was to decide to test my training and run with the 3:55 pacer. I should have known better. But, I had trained well, with weekly mileage peaking above 60, and I felt good and ready. The start line was at the top of a hill, and I was looking down Mt. Washington Road, that initial half mile stretch of a course that has a net elevation decrease of about 280 ft. The temptation was just too great; I couldn't resist! That 3:55 pace sign led me down the primrose path and resulted in my running the race in exactly the classic no-no way!


I pretty easily, based on perceived effort (and number of steps per breath), stayed with that 3:55 pace group through the first half (first 10K split was ~54 min.), at which point, I had to drop back for a minute or so to adjust my left sock and retie the shoe, to keep a nascent blister at the bottom of the left sole under control. Within a couple miles after the half, however, I knew I was in trouble, as I realized that I wasn't quite ready to sustain the 8:58 pace for the entire distance. The temperature and humidity obviously didn't help, but I think I simply was trying to drop too much time, from the Rock 'n' Roll USA 4:22 to a BQ 3:55. The second half was not pretty, as the 4:00, 4:10, and eventually even the 4:30 pacers passed me. For Miles 16-19, I was struggling to just keep going, against a "transitional" wall. Then, at Mile 20, nearing the end of the "20 miles of hope," I ran full-on into that textbook solid wall and the start of "6 miles of reality"--or, what I've termed the "valley of death." :) Not until the final half mile or so, as I crossed the bridge over the Chemung River into downtown Corning, NY, did I emerge from that valley of death; and not until the final left turn onto Market Street was I able to manage even a feeble kick down the three blocks to the finish line at Pine Street.

As a result of my decision to run with the 3:55 pacer, I missed out on what I still think would have been a fairly certain new PR (< 4:14, Ithaca Marathon 1982, my first one, with almost no training at all!). Was I disappointed? For sure. I thought my 16-week training had gone really well, and 3:55 was at least an outside possibility. But, many good lessons learned--though the hard way! Plus, I know better now what needs to be done to run that 3:55. There were other possibly or likely contributory factors to what happened last Sunday: 5-hour drive to Corning on Saturday; getting ready for the trip Friday evening and thus not getting a good night's sleep; on my feet Saturday afternoon touring Corning (Museum of Glass); not sufficient pre-race fueling; jogging the two miles to the start line; far-from-ideal weather and consequently perhaps drinking too much water and Gatorade, almost every two miles (hyponatremia?). But, proper pacing and the training needed to sustain the goal pace definitely are at the top of the list.

Since I've been back home, I've been reading up on pacing and discussing with other RYBQ runners and the RYBQ coach. So, an even or slightly negative pace is best, though not usually attainable, for a marathon. That 3:55 pacer could run the ideal even pace, because it was much slower than his actual race pace, had he been racing rather than pacing; whereas, for me, 3:55 was a stretch goal. Wineglass told me I wasn't ready for 3:55, which is good to know, as I look towards my next try at BQ in March 2014. I suppose I should have known from my training. But now, I know in all its gory details! What I don't know is whether I could have stayed with the 4:10 or maybe even the 4:00 pacer. What I don't know for sure is where I am right now between 4:22 and 3:55. Back to the drawing board! :)

Other than all that, Wineglass itself was great! It was a very well-run race (the other meaning!). Very scenic course. Wonderful support from local towns through which the course winds. Terrific volunteers, all some 1,500 of them! Water/Gatorade stops every two miles and Gu at around Miles 13 and 19. Logistics very well done, including ample shuttle buses to the start line and accommodating ratio of porta-potties to runners. :) Glass finisher medal, hand pressed by Hands On Glass Studio in Corning; pretty unique and #11 in the 2012 list of Top 25 marathon medals.


And, of course, wineglass and champagne!


Also, nice town, Corning, home of Corning, Inc. (formerly Corning Glass Works). For dinner: Brewing Co. and Restaurant on Market Street (Wrought Iron Red perfect for a post-race drink!).


Finish line at Market and Pine Streets, downtown Corning, NY. Clock Tower at Centerway Square to the right.


Corning Clock Tower in Centerway Square

I definitely plan to go back to Wineglass in 2014--partly, to run it the right way! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment