Sunday, March 10, 2013

Running on Goo (not Gu!)

I've been running in my Merrell Trail Glove for over a year now. My total mileage for 2012 was over 1,000. That's at least double the generally recommended maximum mileage for a pair of shoes. See, e.g., REI's advice on this (though, in the case of minimalist shoes, REI's three guides for determining when to replace shoes don't quite apply!). The Trail Glove has turned out to be such great shoes for me, and I was loath to replace them, especially when only the outsoles have worn out a bit (more so on the right, due to some natural anatomical differences). So, since last fall, I've been Shoe Goo'ing the Trail Glove, with each application yielding another 100 miles or so. To keep the newly applied liquid Goo in place, I'd first staple a paper barrier along the sides of the shoes:


And, after drying and curing, good as new (almost!):


There could be other Goo-like products that would also do the job. Shoe Goo was just what REI carried. I'm on my third tube now. So, for less than $15, I've extended the life of the Trail Glove twice what is generally recommended--so far.

NB: I'm not recommending that anyone do this with his or her shoes. It's just that, for me, this works; though, I suppose, eventually, I'd have to move on! :(



No comments:

Post a Comment