Thursday, July 6, 2017

Three running hats and serendipity

Pretty much ever since I began to "seriously" train for marathons, back around 2010, I've worn a hat for training runs and races. Runners spend so much time outdoors that a hat and sunscreen are necessities. (See Runner's World: 1, 2.)

My first hat for running was one I'd picked up from a Sun Microsystems exhibit booth at a conference many years ago. I've worn it for almost every marathon I've run, plus most of the many other shorter races. The fit is snug, so, even without a chin strap, it's usable in all but the very windy conditions. The brim width is enough to shade the upper half of the head. From the rest of the head downward? Sunscreen! This hat has accompanied me through most of my marathon journey so far. And, it is showing some age, with a couple of small tears, from all the scrubbing and rinsing after each run.


A few years ago, after some really sunny long runs, I decided to get a wider-brim hat with a rear flap, which provides better protection for the entire head. It has a loose fit; but, with a chin strap, wind is no longer an issue--when it's used for hiking, especially in sunny regions like the canyon lands of southern Utah. The problem when used for running, however, is that same chin strap. When pulled tight, the remaining part of the strap dangling beneath would rhythmically slap my face, with each stride (left face, right face, left face, right face, ...). So, I have to place the strap behind the head when I run and, thus, can only wear it when there's no more than a light breeze.


Then, for this past Father's Day, my kids gave me a loose-fitting Under Armour hat with a chin strap that goes through and extends beyond the top of the hat. By pulling the strap tight from the outer side of the hat until the underside part is snug against the chin, there is no remaining part dangling to slap the face. When I initially tried it on, I said, wow, someone finally came up with a solution to my problem! Not long afterwards, though, I noticed that the hat is a reversible one, which would explain the chin strap extending to both sides of the hat. It'd also mean the designer at UA most likely wasn't thinking about my problem at all!


Serendipity or not, problem solved! And, I'm thankful to UA for a wide-brim hat, shading most of the head, that I can wear in windy conditions. During last Sunday's long run, I could feel the brisk-wind-caused tugs of the chin strap, with its other end contentedly bouncing behind the head, going along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment