Yesterday, I did the last workout of my 12-week hiking
training program, a one-mile walk on an inclined treadmill (10% at 2.5 mph). Over
the course of this program, I did countless (it seemed!) elevation workouts
with a backpack, i.e., inclined treadmill, stair stepper, step-ups, and stairs;
and hikes totaling almost 90 miles, with backpack weights up to 35 lbs. Total
elevation gained was over 60,000 ft.
(Just an aside and apropos nothing much: I’ve been watching/listening
to the Sibelius Violin Concerto in D minor (performed by Hilary Hahn) for
the first 36+ minutes of every inclined treadmill workout. Because it’s one of
my favorite concertos; and because the third movement's beat is exactly the same
as my pace at 2.5 mph.)
One of the best actions I took last year, after I had to leave
the Boulder Outdoor Survival School (BOSS) 28-Day course early, was to engage a
hiking coach. I’d already decided to take this course again this year, and I
wanted to be as best prepared as I possibly could. I’ve been really fortunate
to have found a terrific coach (Marcus Shapiro) with whom I’ve learned so much about
hiking—not the same as running (!)--and with whom I’ve been training for the
past 10 months (base training before the 12-week program and parallel training for
two marathons last October and this April).
So, I do feel good and positive going into the 28-Day course
this year. Still, there is some anxiety, with doubts surfacing now and then. To
allay these doubts, I have to remind myself to trust the training (and the
coach!)—and, that I've done my homework.
When the course starts this weekend, I’ll have achieved
my first milestone--getting there healthy. Well, not quite 100% healthy. About halfway
through the 12-week program, while bouldering, I injured my left shoulder. A
fairly minor injury but one that has been stubbornly slow to recover completely.
In hindsight, of course, I should have prioritized the BOSS training and stayed
off the wall. Anyway, I modified the training somewhat over the last few weeks by
decreasing the intensity (backpack weight). Physical therapy also was quite
helpful.
There are two other milestones. One is to complete day
1 of the first 7-day expedition in good enough condition to go on to day 2. It
was at this point last year when I had to leave the course early. The other is to complete this first 7-day expedition,
which would be about midway through the course. If I do that, I feel pretty
confident that I can finish the rest of the course.
Will I reach these milestones? I’ll find out! BOSS courses
are minimal (“Know more, carry less”), with no modern equipment of any kind (except
for cameras), trying to replicate as much as possible the way of life of the Ancestral
Puebloans who had lived in the Four Corners region. No headphones either (though
I never run with one). But, in my head will be that Sibelius concerto beat to
keep me going.
And, when doubts arise, I’ll make sure to remind myself to trust the training--and to enjoy and have fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.