Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Running late ... in life

In this year's family Christmas morning opening of presents, I got a number of running-related items (surprise!), which, unlike many presents at this time of the year, are guaranteed to be well-used. In one of the boxes, the store had thrown in the current issue of some running magazine, in which an article by John Bingham, "When I'm 64," caught my eyes. The title refers to the Beatles' song, which, when Bingham first heard it, had seemed so far away. Now, he is 64 and making a living "as the world's slowest professional runner," after having started running at the ripe age of 43. He makes a sort of out-of-the-box observation that, for those who start running late in life (after the prime age for long-distance running of ~30), all their personal records are still ahead. Yes! That must be one of the answers to a question I've asked myself many, many times, without--still--a definitive answer: Why do I run?

So, "instead of sincerely wasting away," there will still be many as yet untraveled roads to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment