Friday, July 5, 2013

Review of NB Minimus 10

I am so happy my new New Balance Minimus 10V2 Trail (NBM) has this design or manufacturing problem. ... Well, in a way. I'll get to that shortly.

First, here's the Executive Summary of my review: Overall, the NBM is a good shoe--except for the problem noted above. I plan to wear the NBM mostly for long runs and races and for the rougher trails.


Here is the problem: At the outside front part of the shoe, several pieces of the upper are stitched together; and, on the corresponding inside of the shoe (see photo above, yellow circle on the left, and close-up photo below), there's enough of a resultant protrusion pressing on the foot to create a hot spot and make it painful to run (in my case, more so on the left than on the right). With the Merrell Trail Glove (MTG), at the same part of the shoe, there are no stitches (see photo above, yellow circle on the right). REI, where I bought the NBM, also had a new version of the MTG, and I would have bought it (still my favorite shoes!), had it not also had, apparently, a design flaw. In the photo above (of my well-worn MTG), the two blue circles show where the sides of the new MTG bend outward with every step, creating an opening between the foot and shoe--perfect for catching random trail debris!



At $109.99, the NBM is decidedly pricey (for me). REI had a 20% promotion at the time, which brought the price down to a more reasonable range. Compared with the MTG, the NBM has a wider sole and a 4 vs. 0 mm heel-to-toe drop, though I can't feel any difference in the several runs I've had in the NBM so far. The NBM is a bit heavier and has a thicker sole, and I can definitely feel both differences! Its toe box is not as squarish as that of the MTG but roomy enough. Its fit is not as snug as that of the MTG (which, well, fits like a Glove!). With the NBM's thicker padding, the decrease in feel of the ground is noticeable.

The NBM is advertised as a minimal shoe. For me, however, it's no longer minimal, having run in the MTG and Vibram FiveFingers for over a year now. Between the NBM and MTG, I still prefer the latter. And, if Merrell fixes the design flaw described previously, my next pair of shoes would be the MTG again. :) I think the NBM, however, would be good for the really long runs and races (marathon and longer) and for rough trail running--once I resolve the problem noted above!

No comments:

Post a Comment