Sunday, February 16, 2014

Respect the ice (or R.I.C.E.)!

That was a stupid run this morning. Started off the 20-mile run fine; temperature comfortably in the upper teens. But, after two miles, I decided to go on the road, instead of staying within the nicely plowed parking lot of the local library/community center. Going by the middle school, I saw the ice patch, slowed to a walk, but, instead of taking a bit more time to go around the patch, tried to walk across it (stupid!). Next thing I knew, the left side of the upper leg, left side of the upper body, and left forearm hit the pavement in sequence. Veni, vedi, but, alas, not vici! I stopped for a bit to assess, felt generally OK, and continued on, albeit at a slower pace. After Mile 13, I decided to cut the run short and head home. Damage assessment: Bruised area on the left leg and upper body (and bruised ego) and a rather sore left hamstring, probably due to the sudden fall and, perhaps, the additional 11 miles afterwards. Lesson learned: Respect the ice (or R.I.C.E.)!

No comments:

Post a Comment