Friday, November 6, 2015

Running forward ... on climate - An update

An unexpected update.

When I last wrote about the Forward on Climate Rally (the only post I've written thus far that's not really about running), I said that I came back from the rally hopeful, not because I expected President Obama would reject the Keystone XL pipeline, but because of the multi-generational makeup of the crowd, particularly the younger generation. That hopefulness was for the long run (no pun intended!), not for the rejection of the pipeline.

So, today was quite a pleasant surprise! Whether the Obama administration deliberately timed today's announcement to reject the pipeline to be sort of an opening statement for the upcoming Paris climate talks or the upcoming talks spurred the deliberation and decision making, or whether President Obama is truly out of fucks--wouldn't it be nice if politicians would all operate in a low fuckery mode all the time?--he decided on the side of our children and all future generations. We should thank President Obama for his decision. But, I agree with 350.org that the decision (I'd add "probably") wouldn't have happened without all the people that was the movement that fought the Keystone XL. A big thanks should go to all those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment