Friday, August 26, 2016

"Achieving one’s qualifying standard does not guarantee entry"

That's according to the 2017 Boston Marathon Registration. But, it does earn one the right to submit a registration! The BAA provides a handy calculator for when is one's time to register. Here's my calculator result, based on the 3:55 time from the Pocono Marathon. The first week (of September 12) is for those who qualified by five minutes or more. Starting the second week (of September 19), all qualifiers may submit a registration. That's me!


In the past couple years, to be guaranteed an entry to the Boston Marathon, one has to have qualified with a time that's faster than the required standard--by about a minute in 2015 and by about 2.5 minutes this year (2016). Given my qualifying time of 3:55 is at the threshold for my age group, the chance of my registration actually becoming an entry is probably next to nil. So, why bother? Because it's like playing the lottery? Because maybe, in my age group, there won't be more submissions than space allows? Yeah, there is probably a little bit of that. :)

But, much more the reason is, if I do get to run Boston 2017, that would be the last one in my current age group. It has taken me more than five years and more than 50 minutes to finally qualify. I began with a finish time at close to five hours; now, when I head out from the start line, I expect to finish under four. For Harrisburg in November, my goal will be under 3:50. This is why I really want to run Boston 2017, before I "age" up to the next group. The latter's qualifying standard is 15 minutes slower, which means I'll almost definitely achieve my qualifying standard--and be guaranteed an entry--for Boston 2018. Where is the challenge in that!

Besides, it's not my fault if there is not enough space in my age group to accommodate every qualifier. It's BAA's fault! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment