Sunday, April 14, 2013

I want to go to Boston

Well, yeah, doesn't everyone? Or, at least, doesn't every runner want to go to Boston?! I'm not sure how or when exactly, like an ear worm, the idea of trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon got into my head, but, ever since, it has firmly wedged itself in there. A few weeks ago, I joined the Run Your BQ (Boston qualifying) online community to help me chart a course to Boston. Lots of resources (training plans, videos, etc.) are available, and interactions with other similarly obsessed runners in the community are great. We understand each other. The Marine Corps Marathon (MCM) in October will be my BQ race. Being infected by the BQ ear worm has helped re-focus my training, after the two post-Rock 'n' Roll (RnR) USA recovery weeks. I'm currently in week 3 of a new 16-week program, aimed at (possibly) the Grandfather Mountain Marathon in July. After the latter, I'll begin a higher mileage program for MCM.

Having the goal of qualifying for Boston really changes the mental aspect of training. On those occasional mornings, when willing the body to go out and run is just a bit harder than usual, the BQ ear worm is quite effective! (Usually, it suffices just knowing that I've never gone out for a run and come back regretting it.) But, is it specifically Boston that effects the mental change? Or, is it any goal? Boston, of course, is kind of special, with all its history. But, could it be any of the other major marathons, or smaller local races, or a first 50K (into the ultra world!), or a first 50M, or, dare I dream, a first 100M! :) The answer must be yes; any goal helps effect the mental change that focuses one's training. Still, why does Boston seem to effect a sharper focus than did, e.g., RnR USA? I think the answer here, for me, is that Boston as a goal is more outside my comfort zone than was RnR. I see runners my age and older qualifying for Boston or running a sub-3:00 marathon (e.g., Ed WhitlockMike Fremont), and I think, wow, that's way past my comfort zone. But then again, it's at least feasible. And, as that ear worm becomes more and more familiar, more and more I think, hey, I can do that--I want to do that!


How do I reconcile my being a process-oriented person with the importance of having goals in running (or in other parts of life)? Well, the overall goal in running is my continual improvement and learning about myself in that process (!). Specific goals, like Boston, are simply markers (metrics) along the way, some more prominent than others, all ear worms that keep telling me that, yeah, you can do that!



2 comments:

  1. Boston is a great motivator, stay focused, do the work, and you can get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Saw your comment and was going to reply after getting back from work. Feels so different now; still kind of shocked by what happened today.

      Delete