Saturday, April 20, 2013

Now I must go to Boston

On this past Wednesday's morning run, I passed a young woman, also running, going in the opposite direction. We traded smiles. In itself, that act of one runner smiling at or saying hi to another runner is nothing unusual. It happens quite often. An unspoken acknowledgment of mutual understanding. It's one of the many pleasures of running. On this particular Wednesday morning, however, I like to think that what was exchanged between her and me was a special acknowledgment that we are family. A family that includes all the runners at last Monday's Boston Marathon, as well as all their supporters. A family that includes every runner who laces up a pair of shoes and heads out the door, to do what one loves so passionately, one step at a time. The running community is a highly self-selective one and, thus, is open to everyone. Running is such a positive, life-affirming act--an organic part of life. Running is both individualistic and, paradoxically, communal. It brings out the best in all of us. Running is so fitting a metaphor for life; it's how life ought to be lived.

I wasn't at Boston (through I'm training to qualify so I can be there, hopefully, in 2014). I figured, had I been there, my current marathon time would have put me near the finish line at Copley Square around the time the bombs went off. Thus, I feel a certain connection to the runners who were there. I don't know any of the people who were so grievously affected; yet, the losses feel personal.


Much have been written by many about their feelings and reactions to the horrific events in Boston: Shock, disbelief, sadness, heartache, anger, defiance, resolve. All were asking, what can I do to help, to contribute to the healing and recovery. Here are a couple ways that I've used: Boston Tribute Tee, with all profits donated to The One Fund Boston. Many have also expressed the strong feeling that the running must go on, that that is the best way to pay tribute to all who have lost so much. The Boston Marathon will be back next year bigger and stronger. I'd posted my previous piece, I want to go to Boston, last Sunday, the day before the race. Now I must go to Boston. Somehow, I will find a way to toe that starting line at Hopkinton.


No comments:

Post a Comment